Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Conversation with Carla Gunn...

Over on Words Worth Books' book club blog I've posted a transcript of a phone conversation our group had with Amphibian author Carla Gunn. She gave us some great answers to all of our questions. I even came away with a new perspective on her handling of the bullying issue in her book. It's neat also that she mentions Amphibian being apropriate to a 12+ audience, even necessary, I think. I don't think there are any spoilers there so take a peek.

As a side note, her book has been described by publishers and reviewers as resembling Mark Haddon's Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. I've never read this book but I have read How I Live Now, which was also hailed as a second Curious Dog. It's funny in my head trying to create what must be the actual text of Curious Dog based on an amalgam of Amphibian and How I Live Now; Daisy and Piper have a third in their travelling party and he completely freaks out at the goat scene, made more anxious by local mushrooms. I'm not sure that this is the plot in CIDNT. Maybe I'll have to read it one day.

Mandy
Just a few posts ago:

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails