Saturday, September 26, 2009

In My Mailbox

This week I received three books and all I can say is, "Vampires, Ninjas and Monsters? Sign me up".

Pretty Dead by Francesca Lia Block, is out for an October 1st release, and the cover blows me away. I haven't actually read anything by her, and it seems to me that Pretty Dead may be a little bit different for her? Pretty Dead is a novella about Charlotte, a vampire alive for almost a century, who falls in love with human Jared. On the inside, under library information, the summary says: Beautiful vampire Charlotte finds herself slowly changing back into a human after the mysterious death of her best friend. I'm pretty excited about this one.
Blood Ninja by Nick Lake. I had no idea about this book until our publishing representative asked me if I'd be up to reading a book about Vampire Ninjas, and my response was this gutteral spastic noise which I guess was interpreted as Yes because here is my copy of Blood Ninja. On the cover there are trails of blood coming out from the OO's in Blood. Actually this one looks very cool, maybe more serious than I think. It's set in 16th cen. Japan. It'll be available in December.

Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey. This one looks scary and possibly gory. There's some kind of bloody human tissue in a jar of preservative on the cover. Yecch, but also Awesome. It is about a monster-hunting doctor, set in 1888, it's the first of a series, published in September, and apparently evokes the spirit of H.P. Lovecraft. There are anatomy sketches throughout the book, too, a nice touch. Here's the definition of Monstrumology from the opening page:

mon.strum.ol.o.gy n.
1: the study of life forms generally malevolent to humans and not recognized by science as actual organisms, specifically those considered products of myth and folklore.
2: the act of hunting such creatures

With the monster hunting I'm thinking of Van Helsing from Dracula, but I also think it might have a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde feel. It's just the sense I get from it. We'll see.
Mandy

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren!

10 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

Spooky cover! I look forward to your review ;)

Briana said...

I want to get Pretty Dead!! Nice books!! Happy reading :)

-Arielle

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...

PRETTY DEAD!!! i want lol
I haven't read any thing by Francesca Lia Block either, but this one looks really good.

Katie said...

Just finished "Pretty Dead" this week. It was so good. Very different for the vampire genre (I thought).

Happy reading!

Katie said...

Ooh those sound great. I saw Monstrumologist at Borders but I couldn't buy anything. It sounds really good. Can't wait for your reviews!

Nina said...

OMG great books! Have fun reading them.

the story siren said...

i must find out about this vampire ninja! ha! happy reading!

YA Book Queen said...

These all sound awesome! Have fun reading!!!

Bri Meets Books said...

Love F. Block, can't wait to read Pretty Dead. Monstrumologist looks so good. It's online for free until the 30th but I don't think I'll get all of it read by then!

Cecelia said...

Nice! I'm waiting eagerly for Monstrumologist, myself. Happy reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails