Friday, October 9, 2009

In My Mailbox This Week!

I got a few great books this week!

Thirst No. 1, by Christopher Pike. I didn't read Christopher Pike growing up; he's been writing teen thrillers since the 80's. And Simon Pulse is releasing The Last Vampire series (6 books) as Thirst 1 and 2. It was originally published in 1994. I really like the new cover. And the fact that they've collected three books into one. The story is about Alisa, a 5,000 year old vampire who goes back to highschool and falls in love with a human named Ray. Her creator comes back to hunt her and she has to rely on Ray for help. And there seems to be a lot of historical references in the story from India and Egypt. Seems cool. The new edition just came out in August.

Almost Perfect, by Brian Katcher. I'm pretty psyched to read this one. Although I made the mistake of reading too much of the inside jacket premise. I feel like it tells me the whole story! I prefer to find out while I'm reading. Logan is devastated after his girlfriend cheats on him and walks around school like a zombie. Until he meets the new student, Sage, and he feels a strange attraction to her. There is a big twist in the plot that I won't wreck for you here because I would have preferred to find out for myself while reading. Booklist compares Brian Katcher's previous book to John Green. Almost Perfect is released this month.

Fat Cat, by Robin Brande. I really enjoyed Robin's first book Evolution, Me and Other Freaks of Nature. I actually hounded a publisher's representative to send me a copy of Fat Cat, I wanted to read it so badly. I'm almost done it now and it's so good. Check back for a review. I want to save all my comments for a review post! Fat Cat is out this month.

Funny Business: Conversations With Writers of Comedy, by Leonard S. Marcus. I was really excited to get this one because I had read Leonard's collection of interviews of Fantasy writers and it was so good. This one is a collection of interviews of YA writers of comedy such as Beverly Cleary, Louis Sachar, Daniel Pinkwater, Judy Blume, Carl Hiaasen, Jon Scieszka, etc. Leo does a great job of structuring his interviews and adding cool things like childhood pictures, prints of manuscripts, stuff you usually don't get to see. I am especially lucky because this one came in hardcover and it's heavy and smells good. Like a real book. This one is also out in October.

Some cool things this week at Edge of Seventeen:

Review of *The Broken Thread* by Linda Smith

A Little *Sarah Dessen* Love

Plotting and Planning *Dystopian Teen Week*!

Mandy

7 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

Nice selection :)

Sydney Salter said...

I loved Evolution, Me, & Other Freaks of Nature too! Can't wait to read Fat Cat.

PolishOutlander said...

I'm eager to get my copy of Thirst from PBS shortly. I'm intrigued by the fact that this time around it's a girl who's already a vampire and not the boy. Pike was clearly ahead of the game back then. Happy reading!

Nina said...

Great books you got. Happy reading to you! :)

Amy said...

ALMOST PERFECT looks quite inrteresting!
-amy :-D

Misty said...

I LOOOOOOVED Christopher Pike as a kid. And I think he still holds up; I'm glad he's getting a revamp (ha, no pun intended).

Katie said...

Can't wait to see what you think of "Almost Perfect." I've had my eye on it for a while now.

Happy reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails