Saturday, November 14, 2009

In My Mailbox This Week!



I had a very fun week in books arriving in my mailbox! Check these guys out (yes, a book that is cutsey and purple is still a boy)!


I kept seeing Scones and Sensibility online, on the blogs, etc. but I have to say that I wasn't sure about it. I haven't actually read any Jane Austen, I KNOW! Can I still enjoy this Scones book? Reviews say YES, so I'm down. Also, the back cover says it's a good pick for fans of Frances Hodgson Burnett. Secret Garden 4-EVA! Scones is available in December via Egmont...whoa, whoa...*much confusing internet research* Okay, I'm checking out the publisher's info and it says Copyright Bree Despain. And I'm like, what?! Does this mean that Bree Despain, author of the upcoming The Dark Divine, also wrote Scones under a pseudonym? But then I go to each author's website and they look like two separate women. Is this a type-o in my ARC? Wacky. I'm going to get to the bottom of this...


And this William Bell book looks very cool. He's a Canadian author and I feel like I've read another of his novels before but I can't place the title. Jake is in film school and is totally in love with a girl. He pulls a bit of a Cyrano and borrows the words and sentiments of his best friend to woo her. The back cover says there are also Shakespearian plot twists, so it looks a bit like 10 Things I Hate About You as a quirky ensemble cast. It's coming out in January, via Double Day Random House.

And of course, a new old Mark Haddon title. I got a fun note with these books and a little back story on Boom. It was first published 15 years ago but has now been completely re-edited in its newest form and will be available in May. I haven't read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, but I do know of the author's love for How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff. Oh there are also going to be illustrations. Ha! The sub-title is or, 70,000 light years and the original title from 1992 was Gridzbi Spudvetch. Haddon mentions changing every sentence in the book one way or another, so this feels like an entirely new story. Via David Fickling Books, an imprint of Random House.

Mandy


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren!

14 comments:

prophecygirl said...

I loved Boom!, it's a really good book. Very fun. Hope you like it!

Stormi said...

Great books. I have seen Scones and Sensiblity around and it looks like it could be interesting.

Here is mine:

http://writesthoughts.blogspot.com/2009/11/imm-saturdays-mailbox-raid_14.html

Ellz said...

I don't think I would read it, but I do adore the cover for Scones and Sensibility.

Elie (Ellz Readz)

in which a girl reads said...

Wow, nice books! I really want to read Scones and Sensibility--looks like a fun middle grade read :)

Katie said...

I'll keep waiting patiently for "Scones and Sensibility," while you enjoy it. :D

Clare said...

Mandy, you MUST read Jane Austen and The Curious Incident. Serious lapses. :-). I am addressing my serious lapses soon by reading Catcher in the Rye and The Bell Jar. I promise. I actually like A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon better than Curious Incident but it's not YA.

MarjoleinBookBlog said...

great books you've got, enjoy reading!

the story siren said...

oh, what great books! hope you enjoy them all! happy reading!

holdenj said...

All three of these look great, but I admit, I've been waiting for the release of Scones and Sensibility the most! It looks like a lot of fun.

yuan said...

HOMG WILLIAM BELL. ♥ I love his novel Stones. (maybe that was the one you read? lol if not you should definitely try it, I loved that novel. =D) And the premise of Only in the Movies looks positively delicious. =D

Rebecca said...

Great books you got this week. They all look really good. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

So Many Books, So Little Time said...

Scones and Sensibility looks So good! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

http://www.eperfumeoutlet.com/ - generic propecia
This is primarily because of the two chemicals known as finasteride and minoxidil.
[url=http://www.eperfumeoutlet.com/]generic finasteride[/url]

When can I expect to see results from taking Propecia for hair loss? Generally Propecia is recommended to be taken once daily(1mg), and the male will begin to see results at the 2-3 month range.
finasteride drug

When can I expect to see results from taking Propecia for hair loss? Generally Propecia is recommended to be taken once daily(1mg), and the male will begin to see results at the 2-3 month range.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
phentermine no prescription
Operation of machineries and driving should be avoided for the medicine causes dizziness and accidents are more likely to occur.
[url=http://www.fourseasonsindiatour.com/]generic phentermine[/url]

Phentermine may cause dryness of the mouth.
http://www.fourseasonsindiatour.com/ - generic phentermine
Although if the dryness continues for more than 2 weeks, it?s important to consult the doctor and dentist since there is a higher chance that dental diseases and fungal infection may occur.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails