Monday, January 25, 2010

*Dirty Little Secrets* for my To-Be-Read Pile


Dirty Little Secrets has a unique premise:

Everyone has secrets. Some are just bigger and dirtier than others. For sixteen years, Lucy has kept her mother's hoarding a secret. She's had to -- nobody would understand the stacks of newspapers and mounds of garbage so high they touch the ceiling and the rotting smell that she's always worried would follow her out the house. After years of keeping people at a distance, she finally has a best friend and maybe even a boyfriend if she can play it right. As long as she can make them think she's normal. (From Goodreads.com)

And then Lucy's mother dies under a pile of National Geographics and she knows her family's hoarding story will be public knowledge, and Lucy has to make a split decision.

I also think this is neat, from the author's bio: "C.J. Omololu didn't grow up in a hoarded home, but she has seen what the disorder can do to a family through her research with the Children of Hoarders organization." I didn't know that hoarding was a compulsion and that it can really affect a person's childhood.

A few other authors have read Dirty Little Secrets like Jaclyn Dolamore (author of Magic Under Glass), who says: "I read it in one afternoon, but I thought about it all week." And Jen Nadol (author of The Mark) says, "This book was fantastic. I was actually in the middle of reading something else, picked it up to have a quick look at the first page or so and couldn't put it down. I finished it less than a day later and am still thinking about it."

*sigh* yet another one for my huge to-be-read pile. This one looks so good.

Mandy

1 comment:

Tales of Whimsy said...

I feel you! My TBR list is quite massive!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails