Sunday, January 31, 2010

In My Mailbox this Week!





I'm pretty excited about this week in books.

In particular Seth Baumgartner's Love Manifesto, as I don't know anything about it. I haven't read anything by Eric Luper, but this looks like fun. Seth gets dumped at Applebee's and on the same day sees his father there, with a woman who's not his mother. He starts an anonymous podcast called The Love Manifesto that asks the question, "what is love and why are we stupid enough to go back for more?"

The Naughty List looks good, too. I don't know if I love the cover but the premise works for me. The school's cheerleaders, The Smitten Kittens, are perfect and popular. They are also spies-for-hire, catching cheating boyfriends and exacting justice. It sounds a little like Pretty Little Liars and maybe a bit like Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood. Both great books, so we'll see. The book has it's own blog where the Naughty List is kept and surveillance is recorded, it's pretty cute.

Booklist and USA Today both compare Merlin's Harp to The Mists of Avalon and Publisher's Weekly calls it a worthy successor to T.H. White, which is wow. It reminds me of Here Lies Arthur by Philip Reeve, which was a re-telling of Arthur's exploits through a young girl's eyes. A girl who was a pawn of Merlin and who disguised herself as a boy.

And I think I've already blogged about my interest in We Hear the Dead, because of my fascination with the Fox sisters. I can't wait to read a fictional historical.

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren!

Mandy

What books did you pick up this week?

13 comments:

Nina said...

Great bunch of books this week. Havce fun reading them. The covers are amazing.

Lauren said...

That's a great week! I love the sound of The Naughty List and can't wait to read that one.

Kathy Martin said...

Great group of books! I hope Merlin's Harp lives up to the advance billing. Happy reading!

My blog is <a href="http://inside-dog.blogspot.com>Inside of a Dog</a>.

prophecygirl said...

Cool week. I'm looking forward to The Naughty List and Spells. Hope you enjoy.

Corrine said...

These books look great! I can't wait to read Spells. Seth Baumgartner's Love Manifesto looks like a good read too! I hope you enjoy all of the books you received this week!

I have a contest running on my blog right now for the book Break by Hannah Moskowitz. Feel free to check it out. :)

Eleni said...

Wow! You got some AMAZING book this week, lucky girl :) Happy reading!

Sara said...

Nice book bunch! Heard great stuff about the Naughty List. Happy reading!

brizmus said...

I also am SO jealous of your week this week! Wow for serious!

Rebecca said...

Great books you got this week. They all look really good. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

Erica said...

The Summer of Skinny Dipping looks so good!

Brooke Reviews said...

Ohh Love the cover for We Hear The Dead, very pretty! I'll have to look into that one more :D Happy Reading!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Whoa doggy! Fly week! *high five*

I am SO jealous of Spells :) I desperately want to read it.

Katie said...

You had an amazing week with books! I cannot wait to see your review of "The Naughty List" -- my copy supposed to be arriving this week. I hope so!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails