Monday, January 18, 2010

Oh!...Wow! Michael Printz Award Winner!

...hunh. Going Bovine by Libba Bray is the 2010 Michael Printz Award winner?!

I am ONLY surprised because I picked it up a few months back, read 80 pages and just wasn't into it. I am a huge fan of her Gemma Doyle series. And it wasn't that she had written something entirely different, as I enjoy all types of fiction. Maybe it was just the wrong time for me to pick it up. I will totally be giving it another go, though. Which I had intended to do anyway. The Printz award will speed this up for me, though.

And Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey is a 2010 Honor Book. I have to also admit that I am halfway through this one and thought I might not go back to it. For no reason in particular. Again, it could be that I'm just not that into it right now. I'll finish Monstrumologist off, though.

Punkzilla by Adam Rapp is also an Honor Book. I haven't read this one. I love the title, though! ...*checks* OH! We have it at the store! Yoink...Hunh, creepy cover.

And I don't know anything about the other two Honor Books, Charles and Emma by Deborah Heiligman and Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes.

Surprises? I would have loved to see Hate List by Jennifer Brown win something. I just really liked it.

What do you think of the list? (Complete Info Here)

Mandy

7 comments:

Jonathon Arntson said...

This is the fifth or sixth instance where someone has admitted to putting Going Bovine down after starting it. I am on hold at the PL and cannot wait to attempt it, we'll have to compare notes after we finish.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I must admit that I am embarrassingly ignorant about these titles - I do tend more toward MG, though. I'll just have to read a few so I know what's up! :-)

Jess said...

HuH,
I wasn't a fan of Gemma Doyle. Got through about 3/4 of the first one but every time I put it down I dreaded picking it back up so one day I just didn't. Haven't even looked at getting Going Bovine. I have been very curious about The Monstrumologist though...

Tales of Whimsy said...

I can't wait to read Going Bovine :)

Katie said...

So not sure what I think of the awards this time around. I've got to read them to begin with!

Cecelia said...

I'm going to go off and read Going Bovine now...

Mandy (Edge of Seventeen) said...

Jonathan: I know what you mean, I've had the same experience reading other bloggers' responses to Going Bovine. I'll definitely be reviewing here in the future.

Jessica: The Monstrumologist is also something I'll have to get back to. It is a pretty dense read...

Shannon: Me too! Like I said, I haven't actually read any of the titles fully. Me = ignoramus.

Juju: I'll look out for your review!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails