Thursday, February 18, 2010

Vampires Vs. Dystopian Oppression...Who Will Win?!


This week Publishers Weekly posted an article about Dystopian fiction becoming more popular than Vamp fiction. Which I can see, because of the popularity of books like The Hunger Games and Maze Runner. After Twilight made such a huge impact, publishers took notice and much has been published since claiming to be the next big paranormal romance. So it makes sense that after a big book like The Hunger Games, more books that could be characterized as Dystopian would find publishing favour.

It's like a Darwinian publishing phenomenon.

The Publishers Weekly article is a great resource for fattening your to-read list, so be warned. I found out about books like S.A. Bodeen's The Gardener, Dark Life by Kat Falls (which has an amazing cover. It's also about living underwater, so, awesome), and Nomansland by Lesley Hauge, where teen girls protect their island from the threat of men. There are a lot of other titles on this list that are published in 2010; the sheer number surprised me.

And I love Dystopian teen fiction, so I'm looking forward to reading many of them. Oooh, PW has a comprehensive list of Dystopian titles coming out in 2010, here.








Mandy

6 comments:

Sara {Rhapsody and Chaos} said...

ooo thanks for the link!! I keep meaning to subscribe to PW... THG was my intro to Dystopian and I'm hooked!

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

LOVE Dystopian!! Awesome link, can't believe I missed that.

MySharonAnne said...

Yay for team dystopian! That list is awesome!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Yay! Thanks so much for the link and the great book titles - they look awesome! :-)

Tales of Whimsy said...

Despite my love for vamps (who struggle to be good)...I'm all vamped out so I vote for dystopian.

Thuy said...

Go Dystopian!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails