Saturday, July 27, 2013

Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt


The first thing you should know about this book is that it's bittersweet. So if you like your endings perfectly happy, consider yourself warned.

The first time I read Keturah and Lord Death, it had me so completely captivated that I brought it with me to a family Christmas and locked myself in the washroom just so I could finish it. And then, after I finished it, I sat on the floor for twenty minutes trying to compose myself before I came out again. Which might make you think that you don’t want to read this book - except trust me, you do. Because the very next day, I read it again. And I’ve read it half a dozen times since. These are the reasons why I love it so:

1) Keturah, our main girl, is a storyteller who loves the people around her so much she’ll play a dangerous game with Death himself to save them.
2) The romance is unconventional and oh. so. swoony.
3) The prose is lyrical and lovely.
4) The musings on death (and, inevitably, life) are breathtaking. For example:

In fall, she knew it was Death who sweetened the apples. He made her see the sun in a blue sky and hear the trees in a spring wind. He made her see how much she loved her friends, for all their trouble, and how much her grandmother loved her, and oh, he made her love the breath in her lungs.

Ugh. Best book ever. You should read it.

-Kristen

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails